Sunday, April 18, 2010

Harrison Red Line Stop



















The Harrison red line stop is the closest by 623 S. Wabash Columbia College Building. The only time I would ever go on the Harrison stop would be to visit my relatives on Rosevelt or go visit Chinatown. I remember the first time I ever been there when they remodeled it from Columbia College and Jones College Prep Students who adopted the el stop through the CTA program. The leave symbols that are repeated down the el actually really look like weed (keep in mind I've never done drugs in my whole life). They badly decorated the platform and pillars with poems of haiku's. I'm no fan of poems or anything and this really didn't help interest me whatsoever. So most of the haiku's made no sense to me and just sounded rather ridiculous.

One was about love and it went "Listen! His sweat working it's way down my cheek is whispering." The poem doesn't even sound finished, and was just so random. I would of loved to see at least a poem that would maybe relate to well I don't know...transportation? Something that got someone thinking while they traveled to wherever they were going. Most of the pillars were vandalized, people were ripping it with whatever object they had with them. You would of thought that we would change poems time to time so something like this wouldn't happen.

The color scheme seems pretty dull. A bunch of yellow, orange, red colors. I really am dissapointed on how Columbia handled this. We had a great opportunity to make something look amazing, yet they somehow made it looks tacky. I hope people will act and give their input to Columbia and maybe we could change the look of Harrison and change it into something greater.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Maria, sorry Harrison Haiku didn't grab you, oh well. That's fine, but I do wish your piece was a little better argued--that you backed up your opinions with a clearer discussion of how you arrived at them. When you write, for example, "The color scheme seems pretty dull. A bunch of yellow, orange, red colors," I don't think "That -does- sound dull," but rather "Why are those colors dull? I like orange!" Or take "They badly decorated the platform." That may be true, but you don't say what exactly made the decor bad, or how it could have been good. And you still need to focus on proofreading more carefully--there are a lot of sentence fragments in this review, and I'd like to see more carefully edited work by the end of the semester.

    ReplyDelete