Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Spongebob Square Pants











Now I'm a hardcore cartoon-obsessed artist. Back in the 90's, as a kid, watching Nickolodeon was like an addictive drug, and I'm sure you can relate.This kid channel aired great cartoon shows such as Rugrats, Doug, Rocko's Modern Life, The Ren and Stimpy Show, AHH Real Monsters etc. The list goes on with memorable shows and I wish I could elaborate more to make you think down memory lane, but this blog as you know isn't for that. There is just one nicktoon that really gets under my skin and its none other than that yellow loud mouth fruitcake Spongebob Square pants. I can't believe how low cartoons have gotten and this cartoon is one of the few that I just cannot sit down and watch for the life of me.

The theme song is just horrifying, you got some irritating pirate man and a bunch of annoying kids screaming spongebob square pants a total of 8 times. Other than that it explains that he lives in a pineapple under the sea. More descriptive it’s called Bikini Bottom at the floor of the Pacific Ocean. Spongebob (Tom Kenny) works as a fry cook at the Krusty Krab restaurant, which how is that even possible if they are living under water, but hey it’s only a cartoon show. He’s best friend is a sea star named Patrick (Bill Fagerbakke), another so called friend is a octopus name Squidward (Rodger Bumpass) who isn’t too pleased to be around the two. They all seem to get into some random obscure adventure each episode. Somehow people just love to watch them interact and enjoy. This series was the top of Nickelodeon’s ratings chart and maintained a huge fan base. It’s full of wacky humor, silly scenes that appeal not only children but many adults as well. Many say that it sends positive messages about friendship, hard work and loyalty.

There are so many people who just adore this show so much. Having all kinds of merchandise and what not. They are obsessed and I just can’t put my finger on how and why. I was forced to watch the Spongebob Movie when it hit theaters with my younger sister and cousin and it just didn’t make any sense. The jokes were random; I don’t see how little kids really get what’s even going on. Supposedly now there are a lot of dirty jokes my 15-year-old sister told me in the cartoon series. I watch my sister as she still watches the show constantly, bawling out laughing while I stare in confusing. You would think I could understand the humor behind it all since I still watch cartoons but Spongebob just isn't for me. The annoyance level on this show for me is high and I stay away from it at all costs.

I assume that I have to try and be in the shoes of the other people because I know for a fact the cartoon and anime shows I fully love and enjoy, people also hate a great deal. Everyone has their own likes and hobbies and I think people really shouldn't bash others for liking something like Spongebob. I always thought that was the best way, don't argue or fight, just let them be happy with what they enjoy. Your life will be much better with just staying happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment